Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Transcendentalists

The writing Nature by Ralph Emerson didn’t really make any sense to me until I read it a couple times. I think it was talking about being alone and loving nature. It talked about how he view nature. He thinks that people don’t appreciate nature or see it like he does which to me that is true. For instance when he talks about the sun and the stars appearing one night in a thousand years. If that happened people wouldn’t be able to enjoy them. So since the stars come out every night people appreciate them more and realize that nature is something that can be inaccessible but since we do have it appreciate it. The writing states that we speak of nature as if it’s nothing and don’t realize that the many natural objects makes up nature for example the landscape that a farm sit on is nature.

But the people who own it don’t think of it as that they probably look at it as property that is going to help them invest. The writing also states " few adults can see nature" I think the reason for that is after they grow older they loss interest in what’s around them. They have more important things to focus on instead such as work and bills. The writing says that a child notice nature more and I think that’s true because children don’t have any worries. Children get to live carefree and since they have nothing to worry about they notice the nature around them more then adults because they have the time to explore and enjoy nature.
The writing Self-Reliance to me was about a man becoming a man. Self-Reliance pointed out that when you envy someone it’s just ignorant don’t envy other’s do something that would make others envy you. The writing stated that a man must believe in himself through to good and bad times and when he gives up that’s just like he is committing suicide. When the writing stated that "no kernel or nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till". That line is so true I think it’s saying that no man is going to have nothing-good come to him without hard work and time. I think the writing would be very motivated for man if they read it. So to sum it up the writing was interesting and was basically saying being self- reliance is a good quality for all men to have. And when ever you’re misunderstood that’s good because the greatest men in history were misunderstood, such as Socrates and Jesus.

Resistance To Civil Government talks about how some governments is fit to be in charge, but there are others that are not. Thoreau’s states that " a majority normally rules over minority because they are the strongest. He feels that there should be a government in which majorities don’t decide right and wrong and I think he is right. Everyone should have say on how his or her government is run. That’s why I can’t wait until I’m eighteen so I can have say on what’s happening with my government. I don’t think it was right that he got locked up because I feel a person shouldn’t have to pay taxes if they don’t have say on their government. Thoreau’s is right about the government free and enlightened until people realize that no individual is higher than all and when a individual get power they shouldn’t abuse it.
Nature is a good example of Transcendentalists because it shows the belief that god could communicate through nature and a persons intuition. Which means that they thought god spoke to them through nature and what they felt in their heart. So in Nature when he says, "In presence of nature, a wild delight runs through the man, in spite of real sorrows. That’s a good example cause he is stating that no matter what’s going on or happening in the presence of nature and good in speaking there still is a reason to feel delighted. And I think that is very true sometimes I feel so sad and I don’t want be bothered but if it’s hot out side and the sun is shining, I feel better and want chill with my friends.
Self- Reliance is a good example of Transcendentalists because it shows an example of the belief god spoke to people through hard work. When he says,
"No kernel or nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till". That’s a real good example because when a man work hard he feels like god is going to let something good happen to him in due time, but only if he works hard and give it time. I do believe in that because it seems like every time I work hard and focus I always get something back. It might take awhile to get it but as long as it comes I’m happy.
Henry Thoreau "Resistance To Civil Government" is another good example of Transcendentalists. Because it shows the belief that institutions like government or organized religion were not effective. A good example of the belief is when he was arrested for not paying his tax for six years. That’s a good example to me because Transcendentalists believed that they shouldn’t have to pay tax because in their heart they thought if they paid tax it would be going to stuff that they didn’t want or believe in such as slavery or war. I feel the same way I wouldn’t want to pay tax for something I didn’t believe in.

Chris, a college senior, has just been accepted to the best law school in the country. His parents, Sheila, his wife, and his brothers and sisters are very excited for Chris since he has wanted to become a lawyer for his entire life. Chris isn't so excited though. He has realized that he would rather be a high school teacher than be a lawyer. Chris would have to go back to school to get his teaching certificate. If I were in the same position as Chris I would do what I wanted to do.
Why would you do something that you weren’t interested in that would be stupid? If you do what others want you to do than you wouldn’t be happy. So if I were in his position I would become a teacher. Transcendentalists would be happy with my decision because they believed every person should go with what they feel in their heart. On the blog there is a line that states
"They also believed that God could communicate to people through nature and a persons intuition". And I think that’s correct because I always go with my intuition and when I do it mostly be right and when it do I think that it be from god.

Another good example is when Henry was locked away for not paying his taxes. The reason he didn’t was because in his heart he felt that he didn’t have to so he went with what he felt inside.
I like the Transcendentalists ways and belief they make more sense than what the rationalist and puritan believed. I also understood it a little better.

1 comment:

D a n a said...

This is great work Michelle. Keep it up!

About Me

My photo
I am very outgoing, I like to be goofy and have fun.